Keep up to date with the latest digital trends and technology





Regan Hall


Brand Management Digital marketing


August 19, 2013 - Regan Hall
blog post image

The power of real time marketing

When the power went out for 30 minutes during the last American Super Bowl, talk of the unfolding drama was trending on social media platforms. Within minutes, the Oreo creative team had tweeted an image of their famous cookie on a darkened background with the words: “You can still dunk in the dark.”

Oreo’s timely creative was re-tweeted more than 15,000 times in the hours following the Super Bowl, and the brand is now highly ranked in searches related to agile or real time marketing.

Interest in this responsive form of marketing has piqued since Oreo’s now infamous tweet caused a stir (and a laugh) in the marketing world.

Super -bowl -2-261x 300

The phenomenon is nothing particularly new – marketing hooked to news headlines is old news. But interest in this type of real time responsive approach is on the rise. With the need for fast responses driven by social media platforms, real time marketing, if approached in the right way, can be an extremely useful tool.

Using real time marketing to your advantage requires careful planning, clear brand guidelines, and the ability to be flexible and adaptive to change. There are clear advantages to its use:

A Quick Response

Real time, reactive marketing is generally pumped out on social media platforms, allowing relevant, engaging creative to be uploaded, and reach audiences in minutes. Catching a responsive audience in the midst of a trending topic is a powerful marketing tool.

Measureable results

Utilising social media in this way also provides marketers with real-time measurable results in the form of re-tweets, shares, likes etc.

In the Moment

News is not what it used to be, and popular stories or trending topics generally disappear as fast they arrived. Real time responsive creative allows marketers to capitalise on the need for immediacy.

In order to truly succeed at agile marketing, everyone in the team needs to be on board, clear about the company’s marketing goals, and ultimately flexible. Often a great creative response to a real time event will need to happen out of hours, so leadership needs to be on board and have trust in the creative team to deliver the company’s marketing goals.

We found a few great examples of real time marketing that has been fired out on twitter recently.

Oreo is well and truly entrenched in real time marketing with the Super Bowl tweet just one of many great pieces of creative it has under its cap.

This tweet inspired more than 90,000 shares.

Oreo -gay -pride -300x 300

Miracle Stain jumped on the Super Bowl opportunity also, tweeting this picture.

Superbowl -1-249x 300

In January, Specsavers devoured the chance to make a statement about a footballer’s attack on a ball bay, clips of which went viral.

Specsavers -222x 300


While it is impossible to plan for these unplanned events that can be the best springboards for agile marketing creative, according to, a good rule of thumb to follow is reserving 10% of your marketing for purely responsive creative, while the other 90% is planned, ‘business as usual’ marketing.

Are you using agile marketing? Have you considered it or seen any great examples? Let us know what you think.